2. All children have ideas worth exploring, emotions worth embracing and differences worth celebrating.
3. Loving, responsive and long-lasting relationships are the foundation and the fuel for development.
Over the past 30+ years, research has validated the critical role of developmental principles in treatment, including the importance of emotional experience, child-caregiver relationships, and understanding and responding to the individual differences of each child. The DIR Floortime® approach addresses the core areas of challenge in autism – social engagement, social communication, and the broadening of interests.
Floortime aims to help children reach six developmental milestones which are the foundation for emotional and intellectual growth. The six milestones include:
2. Engagement and relating
3. Two-way purposeful communication
4. Complex communication and problem solving
5. Creating emotional ideas
6. Emotional and Logical Thinking
DIR® Floortime is based on the idea that emotional experience is integral to healthy overall development, and by mastering each functional emotional developmental milestone, a child can develop the capacity to be an engaged, caring individual, who is flexible, adaptable and a creative problem solver.